Monday, April 22, 2013

A My Mind's Eye Mini

Say that three times fast! One of my favourite projects that I did for my April Guest Designer spot at My Mind's Eye was the mini album I made using the My Girl range. The papers and embellishments in this range are so bright and fun and were perfect for nearly every photo I take of Alexa.

So off we go! The basis for this mini album is simply 6x4 chipboard sheets that I cut out using my trimmer for some pieces that I had kept, probably from the back of some of the girls notepaper, or as packaging from some scrappy purchase. I never throw these pieces of thin cardboard away, they are perfect for the base of mini album pages. I simply then selected some of the gorgeous patterned paper from the 6x6 patterned paper pad which are ideal for these kind of smaller projects with the scaled down designs.

For my front cover I kept with a fairly understated patterned paper as I wanted the title and the banners to take centre stage. I just adore these chipboard banners, they add just the right amount of colour and embellishment to this cover. I used a combination of stamps for the "I love you today tomorrow and forever" (which I also love...wonder how many times I am going to need to say that throughout this post?!?). To finish off the front cover I added a strip of contrasting patterned paper that I took to with one of my {many} border punches, and covered the edge with decorative tape.


I selected my photos from my favourites throughout the year. I tried to stick with roughly one per month - but some months I didn't choose any, others more than one. For my month stamps I have used the Yesterday stamp set from Give A Girl A.... although I did try to stick with My Mind's Eye products for the rest of the stamps and embellishments. I found the month stamps just added that extra touch and gave me a rough date for the pictures in the album as well.


A nice little hint with the next pages is to use your stamps in different ways, or add other words to them to make phrases. I used the "just" from a piece of paper and then stamped the "beautiful" underneath on the left hand page, and then stamped directly onto the decorative tape on the right hand page. I like this effect and must remember to do it more often. It would be great on Project Life type pages, too.


Another use I got out of the circle stickers from the sticker sheet was to chop them in half and use them as a scallop border under the left hand picture. I just love the look of the fussy cut Hello speech bubble on top of the photo.

One of my favourite things about the techniques in this mini album is to use just "parts" of stamps. On the right hand page for the border I simply stamped the edge of the ruler stamp and it made a great border.

For pages with quite bright and busy backgrounds I tried to keep everything else fairly simple so as not to overwhelm the page.


Here I used the dash line stamp for a butterfly trail. I roughly guessed where I wanted the trail to be and stuck the stamp to a large clear block in that pattern and stamped.


A little bit of decorative tape can look fantastic to add a bit of colour and funky design, and some punched out shapes can also bring in some of the other colours and use up some of the tiny scrap pieces laying around.


And finally the back cover, nice and simple with this great patterned paper.


No comments:

Post a Comment